BY SHYAMAL SINHA
Scroll down to find out the various health benefits of mangoes that makes it the king of fruits.
Summer is here and with it we herald the arrival of the coveted mango season! The yellow, pulpy and sweet fruit has a long history in the Indian sub-continent. Scientific fossil evidence indicates that the mango made its first appearance even earlier – 25 to 30 million years ago in Northeast India, Myanmar and Bangladesh, from where it traveled down to southern India.
The tropical stone fruits are a low-calorie fruit that is high in fibre and is a great source of vitamins A and C. Mangoes also contain folate, B6, iron and a little calcium, zinc and vitamin E. A good source of antioxidants, mangoes have a number of health benefits.
Here are a few health benefits of mangoes:
1. Lowers cholesterol: Mango has high levels of fibre, pectin and vitamin C to lower serum cholesterol levels in the body.
2. Prevents cancer: Antioxidant compounds in mango have been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. The antioxidant compounds in mango include quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid, and methyl gallate, as well as the abundant enzymes.
3. Improves eye health: Experts say one cup of sliced mangoes supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
4. Clears skin: Mangoes help clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples.
5. Alkalizes body: The tartaric acid, malic acid, and a trace of citric acid found in the fruit help to maintain the alkali reserve of the body.
6. Fights heat stroke: Juicing the pulp from green mango and mixing with water and a sweetener helps to cool down the body and prevent overheating.
7. Boosts immune system: Mango has generous amounts of vitamin C and vitamin A along with 25 different kinds of carotenoids that help keep the immune system healthy and strong.
source – news 18
Feb 27, 2021 Comments Off on State Vesak festival to be held in Jaffna this year
Feb 25, 2021 Comments Off on Imran Khan invites Sri Lankan Buddhists to visit Pakistan
Feb 23, 2021 Comments Off on The annual Quan The Am (Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva) Buddhist Festival in Hanoi
Feb 22, 2021 Comments Off on Buddha statue at Hazaribagh, Jharkhand
Apr 06, 2020 Comments Off on Basic protective measures against the new coronavirus
Aug 01, 2018 Comments Off on Japanese wellness methods that can transform your skin
Dec 26, 2017 Comments Off on WHAT IS CARDIO EXERCISE? 6 EXERCISES TO MANAGE BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS
Dec 08, 2017 Comments Off on Healthy Diets are also Healthier for the Environment
Nov 27, 2019 Comments Off on Dr. Yeshi Dhonden, Former Personal Physician to the Dalai Lama, DiesBy Staff writer Dr. Yeshi Dhonden, 1927–2019....
Aug 29, 2019 Comments Off on Former Rigpa Head Sogyal Rinpoche Passes Away in ThailandBy Staff Writer On behalf of all members of the...
Feb 07, 2018 Comments Off on Passing of World-renowned Scholar Jao Tsung-I MournedBy Staff Writer On behalf of all members of the...
Feb 17, 2017 Comments Off on Respected Tibetan Teacher Kyabje Gelek Rinpoche DiesRespected Tibetan Teacher Kyabje Gelek Rinpoche On behalf...
Jun 27, 2016 Comments Off on Condolence message on the demise of Ven. Anamaduwe Sri Dhammadassi NayakeTheroVen. Anamaduwe Sri Dhammadassi NayakeThero General...